Ilyashev & Partners Law Firm has many years experience in international commercial arbitrations according to all major arbitration rules: UNCITRAL, the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA), the International Court of Arbitration of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), the London Maritime Arbitrators Association (LMAA), the Arbitration Institute of the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce (SCC), the Vienna International Arbitration Centre (VIAC), the International Commercial Arbitration Court at the Ukrainian Chamber of Commerce (ICAC at the UCCI).
Our lawyers are experienced in representation in multi-million dollar investment arbitrations: both according to the specialized ICSID Convention and commercial regulations (UNCITRAL, SCC).
We were the first to successfully recognize the order of the English Court in Ukraine according to the principle of reciprocity. Today, we provide legal assistance in the appeal procedure of awards and recognition and enforcement of arbitral awards in Ukraine and abroad.
Senior partner Roman Marchenko is the head of arbitration practice
- has unparalleled experience in international proceedings, including representation of JSC "BTA Bank" (Kazakhstan) against Mukhtar Ablyazov - the largest in the history of English and Ukrainian courts and arbitration tribunals case of fraud amounting to more than USD 12 bln
- has extended experience in the composition of the arbitral tribunal - as the arbitrator appointed by the parties and the institutional arbitration, in particular for LCIA, ICC, LMAA, the Stockholm Arbitration, a number of ad hoc arbitrations, including arbitral panels in Ukraine
- the only representative of Ukraine in the working groups of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), "Financial institutions and international arbitration" and "Emergency arbitration proceedings"
- Representation of JSC "BTA Bank" (Kazakhstan) in the case on international fraud of Mukhtar Ablyazov, a former Chairman of the Board. In this case, with claims of more than USD 12 bln we provided legal support during judicial proceedings in Ukraine, England, the Russian Federation, and the Supreme Court of Seychelles
- Representation of JSC "BTA Bank" (Kazakhstan) in the case on recognition in Ukraine of order of the High Court of Justice of England and Wales on recovery of USD 451 mln in favor of the Bank
- Recognition and enforcement in Ukraine of decision of a Russian court on bankruptcy of a Russian bank
- Representation of A1 Investment Company in a number of cases on recognition and enforcement in Ukraine of foreign orders regarding corporate dispute between the shareholders of Ukraina Shopping Mall for the amount of USD 50 mln
- Protection of interests of SE Antonov in case on arrest of the Ukrainian transport aircraft AN-224 "Ruslan" in Canada and Belgium
- Protection of interests of the largest Ukrainian carrier in several cases in the London Court of Arbitration according to the LMAA rules on termination of freight contracts and recovery of damages. The total amount of claim is more than USD 1 mln
- Representation of a Ukrainian technology company in ad hoc arbitration in the United States on carrying out oil well stimulation works in Texas
Ratings and Awards
Roman Marchenko is a highly respected and experienced litigator and arbitration specialist who receives copious praise from clients. Sources describe him as “reliable, very client-oriented and fast” and also say that he is “down to earth, focusing on the needs of the case.”
Chambers Global 2017
Ilyashev & Partners “delivers remarkable work, and has an excellent reputation”. The “incredibly smart, highly strategic” Mikhail Ilyashev has “encyclopaedic technical knowledge”.
Legal 500 EMEA 2016
“The firm has the expertise and staff to handle truly complex matters. What makes Ilyashev & Partners unique is their willingness to offer practical solutions and meet the needs of even most demanding clients. They are excellent in all categories and very commercial, flexible and responsive.”
IFLR 1000 2015
According to the Ukrainian rating Top 50 Law Firms of Ukraine, over a number of years Ilyashev and Partners Law Firm has been an undisputed leader in litigation sphere based on the great number of court and arbitration disputes. In 2016, the Firm provided legal advice in 25% of major public litigations and arbitrations.
Top 50 Law Firms of Ukraine
Roman Marchenko is recognized as the best in the nomination “Best Lawyer in Arbitration”.
Legal award 2016
For 20 years our services in this practice were used by
BTA Bank (Kazakhstan, Ukraine), A1 Investment Company, state enterprises – Antonov and Energorynok, Tatneft, Altimo, Ukrrichflot, RosUkrEnergo, Naftogaz of Ukraine
Mikhail I. IlyashevAttorney at Law, Managing Partner
Roman V. MarchenkoAttorney at Law, Senior Partner
Andrey B. BychkovLawyer
Oleh I. KulykLawyer
Ievgeniia V. MakarenkoLawyer